My Geofences aren't working on iOS
Geofences are one of our most popular features here at Simple In/Out. And why not? With Automatic Status Updates, you are always up to date and you never even have to lift a finger. Geofences are also very reliable, but they do have a few quirks to them that makes them behave erratically or not at all. Fortunately there are a couple of things to keep in mind to make sure your Geofences behave and perform the way they are supposed to.
- WiFi is the single most important thing when using Geofences. It must remain on at all times. It is the primary source of the low-power location updates from iOS. Turning WiFi off can make the Geofences not work at all, check you in and out over and over, or check you in to locations from miles away. So keep WiFi on.
- Make sure there are no items listed under Troubleshooting. You'll find this information on the Automatic Status Update screen. If something is bad enough to cause Geofences to stop working, we'll badge the app, tab, and screen to get your attention. Make sure any items listed here are resolved.
- Having the correct sized Geofence for your location is also very important. Typically 150m is good enough for most locations. Sometimes it might need more depending on the number of users, the size of your building, and surrounding WiFi in your neighborhood. If you experience any erratic behavior and you've followed the rules from step 1, then try a larger Geofence. A good rule of thumb is 150M or twice the size of your location, whichever is larger. If you are already at 150m, try increasing the size by 50m until you get the behavior you expect.
- Can't turn on Geofences? Make sure you have given Simple In/Out permission to use your location. We ask the first time you try and use Geofences, but if you said no, you'll have to enable them in the Settings.app. You can find the permission under Privacy -> Location. Make sure Simple In/Out has Always permission. Otherwise, Geofences can't wake the app up in the background and update your status. Not sure which permission to choose, refer to our iOS permissions guide.
- Not getting status updates from your Geofence? Make sure that you have internet access. Simple In/Out requires internet access to update your status. We don't cache the time and date and update later when you do have access, so it is important to use Geofences on a device that can access the internet at all times.
- Still not getting updates? Do you like to talk on the phone when you leave the office or on your way to work? Some carriers don't support voice and data at the same time. It is possible that you are blocking the status update with your call. Most carriers using LTE can support voice and data at the same time, but may require changing your system setting to allow it. You can check under the Settings.app under Cellular.
- If you turn Airplane Mode on, Geofences won't work. Locations as well as internet access is restricted and nothing is going to happen until you turn Airplane Mode off.
- Geofences were working fine but now they stopped? This happens from time to time, usually after a system update. Apple has told us that Geofences should persist between restarts and updates, but we find that isn't always the case. If Geofences were working and have stopped and you think it might be related to a system update, open Simple In/Out and make sure you don't see any errors as the app loads up. If everything looks fine, you can just close the app. We'll automatically re-add your Geofences when you background the app to make sure things are always turned on.
- If the above fails - try and restart your device.
- Tried everything on this list and still having trouble? Let's hope that never happens, but if so, please email us so we can try and help. email@example.com
We want everyone to have a great experience with Geofences. If you follow these steps and still have troubles, be sure to let us know and we'll help you get them working.